No clash. There just seems to be alot of assumptions being made and worst case cenarios based on those assumptions. The Great Texas Race is done now with full notification of the Coast Guard in each leg of the race. They know each team and are aware of our route and number of boats. We even see them out on the water the first part of the first leg. They did a fly by on us near Corpus. Leg one of the GT will put you about 40 miles off ANY land mass if you take the rhumb line (which we did last year again). I know the risks. So do many others who do it. Hell, I flipped out there in 08 and got separated from the boat with my eardrum getting busted in the process. I was able to get back to the boat and continue but point being, we know the risks. Had I not made it back to the boat, I probably would have not made it to shore till the next morning. We do have EPIRBS. Robi, does the Coast Guard not use those or something? Not being a smart butt but wouldn't that cut down the area to be searched on your map?
In a nutshell, my interpretation of your posts is that you think that just anyone can come do this event without any scrutinazation from the organizers. I'm trying to tell you that it's not the case as more details will be made available shortly. There is a Safety Officer. He is the same Safety Officer who does the Great Texas Race. He is the one who spearheaded the operation of getting the Coast Guard involved with the race and there is no reason for me to believe he wont be just as effective with The Cuba Run.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.