Dear all,

It is 2010 now and 4 years since I transferred all responsibilities to the newly formed Governing Council. The council at that time was carefully formed to include all makes and represent the diverse group of sailors the best. This marked the end of my own 5 year tenure as a very powerful unitary chairmanship. Such a powerful position was needed for the foundation of the class but a new more democratic leadership was needed for the continued growth of the class. As such the main assignment given to the new governing council (GC) was to formalize the class and create a well balanced and democratically selected leadership. It was assumed that this installed GC would make way for a democratically selected GC when the procedures were finalised.

Indeed the GC worked hard over the last 4 years and the class grew during this time but in my view something important went wrong anyway. This post will detail what and propose a way out of this situation.

Currently, the class chairmanship and chief measurer are father and son and also control all F16 related business (Blade, Viper, Falcon and now also Raptor F16's) to the EU market with the expection of the UK where (only) the Stealth F16 is still independent. The F16 class chairman is now closely involved with the development of a new brand of F16's (Raptor F16). The chief measurer is still closely involved with the A-cat class (founding member and developer) and is indeed a well known A-cat agent/importer. It is also hard to imagine how the chief measurer is not involved with the Raptor design. The family and business relationships between these two persons is just too tight.

I feel this gives foundation to be seriously concerned about a conflict of interests. A situation unsuited for further growth of the F16 class; especially in the very important EU market. Indeed, there are claims that the confidential details of one design crossed over to the design of another builder. At this time it is immaterial whether this is true or not (although I have absolutely no reason to doubt the source), because the current situation will only reinforce such claims. I note that this is only one example of something that went wrong, but I also note that detailing all of them is not in anybodies interest. Suffice to say that the F16 network that was build up during my tenure is upset and the cooperation, that is so vital to this class, has been damaged.

This outcome was not intended when the GC was formed by myself a few years ago. This is not a clear implementation of a well-balanced (impartial) and democratically elected leadership of the F16 class. It also excludes the benefits of a free-market that is so important to a formula based class. A EU buyer can only buy a F16 product from one single source even when no less then 4 different brands are available to him.

I feel this situation must be remedied in order to garantee further growth of the F16 class. I understand that this may be difficult to accept but note that that may in itself not be an argument against doing so. What is best for the F16 class must at all times be paramount and indeed I too fell victum to that criterium a few years back. I ask nothing more of the current GC then I demanded from myself back then.

Basically I propose that the current GC complete their tenure in 2011 and make way for new blood; this time elected fully democratically and transparantly. In my view this implies that some candidates for these positions are excluded if they do not cast off some of their other projects. In the end, the F16 class chairman can not also be the owner of a particular F16 brand and dealorship. His impatiallity will then always be in doubt which is not in the best interest of the F16 class as a whole.

Additionally, I feel that the F16 class must actively work to split up the current 4-in-1 dealorship. That is by definition a monopoly and therefor against the spirit of the F16 rules and class.

I also believe that a chief measurer can not be involved with any particular commerical F16 design. Even the appearence of such a link is to be carefully avoided. Furthermore, the F16 chief measurer must be completely focussed on the F16 class alone and not have one foot in another (rival) class. Addionally, the chief measurer must maintain good relations with all persons inside the F16 network. This is most definitely not the case at this time. Over the years, a fall-out has happened with various F16 boat designers, founders and builders. I will not detail the specific situations but suffice by thanking him for his effort and proposing to transfer this position to another person who is generally respected as soon as possible.

In writing this proposal a new development was announced. 2Bsailing now appears to be the importer for the AHPC Viper F16 product and thus one brand of F16 boats has been taken away from the 4-in-1 dealorship that we have here in EU. I feel this is a very good development and would like to see further steps in this direction.

In conclusion I would like to say the following. The proposals above do not impact my respect I have for the craftmanship of either Catamaranparts or PESA. I have my doubts about the promotional or leadership skills of either business owner, but not at all about their handywork. I feel both are valuable contributers to the F16 class, but just not in their current roles. I think it wise to look for ways to maximize their individual strongpoints while respectfully adress their weaknesses by recruiting the skills of other persons. Along this line of thinking I believe that the 2Bsailing news is an excellent development. Both mr. Bundock and ms. Brouwer already display excellent promotional and people skills combined with a great potential to showcase the boats. If the technical back-end support is handled by say catamaranparts or PESA then I think we'll see a dream come true.

With kind regards,

Wouter Hijink

Last edited by Wouter; 03/03/10 08:27 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands