I have had two similar situations with coast guard and it is their job to save lives. If in order to save the life, they have to save the vessel... In both instances they helped me save the boat.

The first situation was a typical dismast. In the second situation, we broke a Supercat 20 in half. In 15-25mph winds, 4'-6'-8' seas the dolphin striker broke and the boat folded into itself and both crossbars broke in two. We had five people aboard and by the time the coast guard reached us we just about had everything as secure as we could get it. I stayed on the supercat until we approached the inlet so I could minimize damages. The boat was trying to poke holes into itself. I told them that I would get on their boat to go through the inlet as long as they did not release my boat unless it put their boat in jeapardy. They agreed and the boat was safely recovered.

They used to try to save property until they got sued too many times. Chances are high that there was no damage or minimal damage to the catamaran. If Sea Tow or Tow Boat 1 works the area, you are better off calling these guys and paying them than to abandon the vessel. The coast guards can also hail them. It would take a lot to get me to abandon my boat.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com