politically motivated???

Everyone loves a chase boat support.... much better then Sea Tow for all the reasons that you state... All I am saying is that you shouldn't include it in the official race or expect the OA to provide it..

Scramble WHO's chase boat... the Organizing Authorities? That is what I thought you were suggesting.... My solution.. 1 800 Sea Tow.... negotiate salvage before you go out.

Take a look at pepin's description of the Brit's Chase boats... They have three levels of certifications for all of the personnel.. in addition to the same general liability waiver. I think they have requirements for safety boats to even run a regatta as well.

The USSA does not have any of these training programs, certifications, or requirements to run races.... We have the liability waiver and Good Samaritan law... it's a huge cultural difference and probably different legal consequences as well.

the advice we have followed from legal and insurance people is... the OA has RC and mark boats. Period. Distance races...just race committee. Everything else is on the sailors... Good Samaritan Law then comes into play when your power boat people render what assistance they can.

The problems arise when the OA doesn't make it clear to all involved what the respective responsibilities and expectations are.... Sailors then expect rescue of them and their boats. But some mark boats and personnel are not equipped or able to rescue boats.... What they can do is take sailors on board to safety.... after that... anything else they can do is gravy.

Chase and Crash boat titles deliver a different message and expectation (very much like the Brit's provide) .... check with your regatta insurance and your personal lawyer before you agree to serve as a CHASE or CRASH boat.

crac.sailregattas.com