Thanks Brian. I'll put some of the day one speculation to rest. When the teams that got rescued actually got rescued, the boat was the last thing on thier minds. Pac Men were out there turtled for 6 hours before the Coasties found them. Not sure of the time frame on Quicksilver but this squall may have been only 30 knots onshore but when it hit us it was blowing 50 plus and we had the spin up. I guess I had dillusions of out running it. We were pretty far off shore when we got donkey punched by it. It pushed us turtle immediately then back up again causing the boat to do a complete rollover and we actually had to hold the boat down from righting itself. We were blowing parralell to the shore at 3.5 knots! After an hour of this we decided to lower the main and roll it up to stow it on the tramp and sail to shore with just the jib. We rode out the rest of it then raised the torn main and continued on to finish at around 10:20 pm. This was the worst storm I've ever encountered on the water. It was blowing water spray off the top of the water making a white mist on the leading edge of it when it hit us. I'm glad now that I've been ultra anal about making sure my mast was sealed. I'm still amazed that I found my dagger board poking though the mainsail when the boat was on it's side.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.