Indulge me for a moment please.

Not long ago we had a serious port/starboard collision at my club. One boat was damaged to the point of having a hull replaced, one person was injured so badly he is still under a physicians care. The ensuing sh!t storm was so bad there was much talk of Rule 69 complaints, and one of the injured parties has left sailing, probably for good.

The potential for a similar occurence is present when trying to pass a sloop to windward while under spin. Arguing rules when you've knowingly put yourself in a capsize position is inherently unseaman like, imo.

In the port/starboard case the port tacker was so blatantly wrong, the damange so severe, imo, he should be thrown out of sailing! I see this spin v sloop matter headed in the same direction.

Pepin, I think you found the best solution, and it isn't relying on the rules. I was able to get by the P19 without a luffing contest, but it took a long time. Tactically, the best solution begins with the mark rounding.

btw- Matt was able to punch through the P19's lee.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.