Mark describes the exact position I found myself in, being on Stbd and hailing to the port boat, twice, on the first weather leg at a National event. After each very loud call I saw the skipper of the port boat look under his mainsail and made eye contact with him on both occasions. Having done this I made the assumption that he would avoid me and continued racing. At around 2 boatlengths to collision I realised his intent to dip below me (he had been trying to clear ahead and realised too late that it would be too close), I saw him ease his main and start steering down, so I kept my course. On bearing away he powered up, and with the class of boat in question (deep V-hulled catamaran, 18ft with skegs and no daggerboards), as soon as it powered up it sailed straight as if on rails, with no respect for any rudder input (Dart sailors will understand)..
At this point I realised his attempt at dipping below me was not going to work, so I attempted to head up to avoid collision, which was the only way I could go. This made it worse as I slowed, and he ended my regatta in the first race.
My question : If I had NOT tried to avoid the collision, it might have been possible that the damage would have been less, as he hit me in front of the rear beam - had I maintained speed he might have hit me on or behind the beam. How would I have fared in the protest room, having deliberately NOT altered course, in order to attempt to avoid the collision..?