The redress for Hugh Styles was changed in the results to be the average of his final races rather then the average of his Qualifying races, so the last race where he was sailed down the fleet cost him the title. If he had finished 62nd instead of 63rd, he would have at least comes 2nd. However, I'm sure none of them knew that on the water.

I'm an IJ and if I'm awarding average points, what I try and do is make sure that any redress is fixed going into the last day so everyone knows where they stand. So in the Jury decision say something like "redress to be average off all races in the finals on day 1 & 2", so that the morning of the third and final day, the RDG becomes fixed. Still, we don't have any detail from the Jury, so hard to comment.

Have a look at the level of detail from the Jury at the Laser Radial worlds (Ok, so I'm biased .. my daughter is on the Jury :-) .....)

http://www.laserworlds2010.co.uk/_35458/noticeboard

So the points for the top 3 going into the last race were:

1 Styles 38.4
2 Backes 39
3 Bundock 58

And without a bad race in the Finals, Styles should have had the luxury of trying to sail Backes down the fleet, instead he was the one sailed down the fleet and lost out. So the Jury decision won/lost the event for Hugh. Pity we don't even know what the Redress was for.

Paul