John, glad to hear both the safety issue for textile trap wires as well as the "lets stay on the bleading edge" for GPS / Velocitek like gadgets.

On the safety, I have coached 29ers and 420s before and had to jump in the water to help a junior get off the trap, any "newer" style harness that has either the ball and socket or quick release function is okay, but when all else fails its nice to be able to cut the line with a knife, especially with specific "cut yourself proof" knifes available (I have one on my when sailing).

As for GPS, I would word it such that it allows only GPS assisted heading and speed, but specifically disallowing any fixed position referencing (i.e using the GPS to track mark locations).

Grey areas I would foresee:
- heading references (i.e you are being knocked or lifted, which a magnetic compas can already tell you, so maybe a null point)
- VMG (that is class call, I would disallow, as it leads to more advanced tech)
- Fixed positioning / mapping (tracking where marks are relative to you). No Velocitek product can do this (yet), but it is only a matter of time before you have products like Deckman in better form factors then they are now. (FYI Deckman is what "the big boats use" to tell them distance to line, distance to layline, angles between marks, etc after they have inputed them into their nav comp).

We sail with a speedpuck, favourite part of the day / training / is looking at everyone's max speed, adds to the excitement factor (could also be a side prize at regattas). I think they are fantastic and are a step towards making sailing more fun / approachable to sailors and non sailors alike.

Cheers,
-Patrick