Originally Posted by rexdenton
Originally Posted by John Williams
Hi folks -

Half the reason the synthetic trap lines will be allowed is because the wording of the rules to keep them wire is so tangled - a minimum length of wire was proposed as a rule clarification, but it spun up into something ridiculous in volume so quickly...

The other half is the safety issue. We don't talk about it much, but the drowning death of a young Tornado sailor still casts a pall over any conversation about trap wires.

The Technical Committee recommended to the World Council to drop wires - Greg Goodall is writing the proposal that will, as Dave noted, be voted upon in December. Expect passage as described above - wire or textile trapeze lines of 2.5mm minimum diameter.

I get to write the proposal to allow newer technology on F18s, including Velocitek-type devices like the SpeedPuk. There was significant support around the table since they are already proven to be valuable in training, replaying races, etc. I certainly don't mind hearing input on the proposal or wording for the rule. Expect passage of this rule as well in December.

F18 is seriously vibrant and moving forward. I got a real eye-opener in France.

John,

A few of us in the NE fleet have discussed synthetic lines. With that, is there any procedure that would enable international ad hoc mandate provision to allow synthetic dyneema/synthetic rope trap lines in advance of the official December ruling? It's a long time to wait for a common sense ruling that seems obvious for both safety and performance reasons.

Actually, the rule currently does not specify the length of the wire... So you could have a short wire section at the top (say 20cm) and then the rest could be in dyneema.