Originally Posted by Thomm225
Thanks!

I did a check on the cheap BMC model, and it was 15.3 lbs for like $3,800.00. I couldn't believe it until I saw the SRAM group which is fine. I guess that group has helped bring the price down. I'm a little behind on the technology since 2004 I guess. My frame is a 2004 Titanium Litespeed Vortex. (Dura Ace .... 59cm) It's about 15.5 or so but cost around $3,300 used from the plant in Chattanooga, TN (in 2005) with full warranty.

I still worry about those carbon frames though since I've seen several broken in half, and as you know, there's no warranty when you are involved in a crash. They do look good though. I've crashed twice on the Litespeed and got busted up both times, but the bike was fine....

Tom

btw, I broke my mast once on my Nacra F17 so maybe that's part of my problem with the carbon fiber bikes.

Titanium bikes are awesome and that Lightspeed is gorgeous. As far as durability it seems that carbon is as durable as any other frame offered, and if a crash is bad enough to break or crack a frame it will probably do so regardless of the material. Some companies however sell CHEAP carbon bikes, but they are sketchy about it and their method of laying carbon can often result in it cracking or breaking.

As far as SRAM goes, they are the next big thing. A LOT of people now prefer SRAM over Shimano. It's cheaper, and lighter.

The problem I have with these NeilPryde bikes are the cost of the frames alone versus the cost of the full bike. $2,500 for a frame seems extremely high considering the full bike costs $5,400, and considering you can get high quality frames that are lighter from distinguished manufacturers for the same price. Also consider that since these are direct to the consumer bikes, unless you are skilled at building a bike (not easy) you're going to be paying another couple hundred to a local shop to have it built.

Don't get me wrong they are damn nice bikes; but at that price you're focusing on a very restricted market already dominated by top names, which might make it tough to sell bikes under a brand new name.

Last edited by BLR_0719; 08/16/10 04:21 PM.