Couple of quick points:

Pete, this is for your Blade, correct? I would think that if you fell of that boat, even with the spin up you could round or flip the boat by holding the mainsheet. It's a pretty light boat.

Also, as a singlehander cruising by yourself, I doubt you'd go out in conditions that would warrant this type of protection. I suspect then, that you are considering a system whereby if foul weather happens upon you that you could enable it with a minimum of fuss.

With regard to steering damage, has the crossbar broken because you hit it with the mainsheet, or hit it with yourself? Again, in bad conditions you could probably limp along without the crossbar (I believe you did so at Tradewinds last year?)

SO, if my understanding of your intention is correct, you really just want something in place to keep you from having to swim back to shore/mangroves/sharks. If that is correct, then being attached to the mainsheet/traveler arrangement seems most efficient in my view.

If I fell off a singlehander I'd love it to round up, stop, drop the sails, and find its way back to me (with a towel and rum&coke.... hey, it's my "ideal" system!), but I'd be happy if I was able to remain in proximity to the boat because even though I am a confident swimmer it is slow going with all the gear on.

Jay