Originally Posted by catman
I was thinking more of dragging by your feet single handed with the boat on a reach which most boats will do with the main unhooked.

I agree with you Mike.

When we flipped in that race with you last winter, we got the boat back up quickly. However, the first time the jib was still cleated and she went over again. The second righting took a little longer and we were both quite exhausted. The big problem was then that we were too exhausted to get back on the boat. I was at the front beam and just couldn't get on. I had a brief scare when my trap hook got snagged on the dolphin striker rod. It took more energy to get loose from that.

My crew was inexperienced and fat, so not much help (I love you John). I knew I had to get back on so I could help him.

This is where things really went South. I decided to swim under the tramp figuring I could get on over the back beam easier. Only problem was the boat took off on a screaming reach and I couldn't get it to head up long enough to get on, remember I had broken one rudder at the start.

The only thing I could do was grab the mainsheet and flip the boat again.

Don't underestimate how quickly you can lose arm strength if such situations.

So back to the MOB situation...I think you must get the boat to head up and that will only happed if the main is tight. Releasing the main will only make the boat go faster, even if you are tethered to it.

Thoughout this whole ordeal, with both of us almost getting swept away from the boat several times, I'm surprised we never thought to tie ourselves to it. Once we were over for the last time and just trying to survive it would have been a good idea to be firmly attached with a tether.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay