Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
The F16 FUBAR is proof that the issue should be dealt with at the very beginning....

From my perspective, the F16 original handicap number was derived from Taipan 4.9 numbers with an adjustment for spi and other factors (there has been a lot of discussion on the how's of this). As soon as there was enough critical mass for a F16 US Class Association, the Association lobbied for D-PN changes (rightly or wrongly dropping the 1-up number) and actively pursued results to submit to the Portsmouth Committee - which contributed to changes in the rating.

I only point this out because your post could be misconstrued, by the uninformed, that F16 sailors were intentionally misleading the Portsmouth Committee. The actuality is the lack of results (and/or the in-action upon available results - numerous reasons and not placing blame) and rapid optimization of the F16 platform led to a "slow to correct rating". The only thing F16 sailors didn't do is request a lower handicap number at local regattas - which I have never seen done by a H17 or a F17 or any other suppsoed "cherry handicap" boat.

I, too, wish there was a way to get to the "proper" rating quicker - but I think singling out the F16 as a FUBAR does an injustice to the F16 Class. It may be the latest example, but that does not mean any more than the systematic approach to zeroing in on a number may need to be reviewed (as you alluded to lower in your post).

Tom