Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Jake

I don't disagree with what you said - but I'm not sure about what impact changing the quantity of results required for provisional/non-provisional might have on the qualifiers and who can attend. It would take some investigation and historical scenario math.

And Jake my friend that is the tough nut to crack! When looking at the data you can't ignore the talent on the boats contained in the data. We both know how difficult it can be to rank sailors nationally even when they are sailing the same boat. Then when you throw in the different boat variable... holy headache batman.

Yes I know we aren't ranking teams and boats but the thought process must be very similar when you are determining if a number should be adjusted.

I was only talking about the boats that might drop to provisional status due to changing the requirement from 5 data references to 10....they would no longer be eligible to compete in a qualifier - so was wondering how many boats that might cost the events. That wouldn't be so tough....and it's probably a pretty small number but it still is going in the wrong direction toward boosting attendance.

I knew that's what you meant but chose to talk about the tougher nut. The debate about tightening up the handicap system at the cost of reducing attendance would probably turn into a circular argument anyway because I'd take the position that if the system was tighten up the potential loss of participation might be offset by those long disenchanted by the current system. I know there are DPN haters out there and many have simply buried themselves in their own OD and formula classes, so I yeah I might be reaching a bit.

I also do not want anyone to think that I have in anyway soften my position on open handicap racing. I'm still a hater.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"