Hi Bruce, Just my 2c, as we sail 16ft cats called the Mosquito, essentially a scale-version of a Tornado, in Cape Town, South Africa.
Wind is often 15-18 knots, sometimes 20-25, sometimes 55-60, but then it`s raining as well so we don`t sail.
The boats we sail have 12,5sqm mainsail and a 13sqm jib, seems like the ideal ratio of main to spinn.(ie almost equal)
Problem with more modern cats is that the high-aspect ratio mainsail is great for light to medium wind (up to 18 knots), and then turns the boat into a pitchpole-machine after that. If you sail in high winds I`d reccommend a lower aspect rig, especially in short choppy conditions. A low-aspect ratio spinnaker with a reasonably full shoulder might help lift the bows, but will make close-reaching difficult. Also need to have a balanced rig. Long tall mainsail with short fat spinnaker might not do the trick.
Regarding roller-furling vs. snuffer : Ever had a jam on a roller-furling drum ? You`ll do 100 miles downwind before you can figure out how to get it sorted. Snuffer goes up & comes down in 2 sec. if running smooth, use mylar for the chute, slides really well.(single line tack & halyard.) Go deep for the hoist & retrieve, and you`ll swim less often.
I`ve found the kite holds the bows up in plenty wind, makes it safer than without. Just beware the nosedive in short chop, you sail so much faster than the waves that a wave hitting the back beam slows you enough to pitch the bow under. Bear off more, stay back & sheet IN (break the airflow on the kite depowers it, easing it will power it up !)
Sailing it is a process of cleating mainsail & traveller close to centreline & steering with one hand, the other 5 white knuckles on the spinn. sheet, out on the wire, just steer deeper when overpowered.
That`s all I know, and I still swim with it.

Cheers
Steve