Originally Posted by Mappy
Taking a bit of interest in the F16 class with the struggles of getting good crew. I see the F16 class rules do not allow curved boards. With the lighter weight, shorter length of this class potentially the curved boards could improve the performance and handling of the F16. Is there any chance this rule could be changed in the future?

I suppose anything is possible, but it is not very likely, especially in the near future.

I see you have been reading the internet hype on curved foils. As a true performance enhancer there is still considerable debate. Even with the hard core believers the supposed advantages are heavily dependent on the conditions.

One thing for certain, curved foils require a higher level of sailing skill to make them work to any advantage as balance and hull trim are not just important but critical. When not run properly they are a definite disadvantage. The negative effects of not running them properly are magnified given shorter hull lengths.

Adding curved foils would add further separation between the skilled and the not skilled drivers and make the boat more difficult to run to its potential. Not something I feel is of any advantage to the boat or the class.