Originally Posted by waynemarlow
Originally Posted by scooby_simon
Curved fouls would need us to increase beam to keep similar righting moments.

I cannot see a vote going thru in 2012 for curved fouls....

Scooby you are either being disingenuous or you are missing the whole point of curved boards, curved boards give a lifting vector which reduces water line length which in turn reduces " stiction " of the hulls which in turn means faster speeds which in turn means less righting moment needed, well that is the theory.

Downside is the boat needs much more tuning and understanding of what is going on by the skipper and much more careful positioning of the crew to get those faster speeds. In the right hands they are good, in us mere mortals as much as I would condone them, they are probably not as fast due to the complexity.

But to have a " sexy " image to the boat buyers and "tinkerers" amongst us, we are going to have to allow them if we want to purport to being a semi development class, they are here and here to stay I'm afraid.

Not being disingenuous at all;

With a plate that is vertical (in plane) of the hull; the leeward hull (roughly) pivots around a point at the bottom of the hull.

The boat will now be heeling / moving about a point down the plate (not at the leeward hull); as the hull is lifting; thus the pivot point moves inboard a foot or so (depending on the plate profile) and thus a wider boat is required for the same sail plan.

Spent a while discussing with Tornado_Alive as I was wondering why the F20 was so wide; it’s because the curved boards reduce the effective beam of the boat.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here