I have prepared the following proposed rule changes in order to allow the use of tiller extensions. I submit them for your consideration and comment. If there seems to be a consensus for change I will submit the changes to the Rules Chairperson.

Rule 9.8

Current wording: No tiller extensions are allowed. Tiller yokes must be removed.

Proposed wording: Tiller extensions up to 36” long are allowed.

Rationale:

At the time the Final Draft of the Bylaws/Rules were approved in 2001, it was unforeseen that Hobie Co. would introduce a significant redesign of the rudder assembly. The tiller cross bar on the EZ LOC rudder assembly is approximately 12” aft of the tiller cross bar on the original rudder assemblies. Additionally, the molded rudder blades are not as consistently shaped as the standard Hobie fiberglass/EPO rudder blades.

As a result of the change in position of the tiller cross bar, it is not possible for sailors racing Waves equipped with the EZ LOC rudder assembly to move their weight as far forward on the boat as those sailing Waves equipped with the original rudder assemblies. This significantly affects upwind speed, and to a lesser extent downwind speed, particularly in light and medium winds.

Rule 1 states: ”The design and development of the Hobie Wave is directed towards a strict one-design class where the true test is between sailors and sailing skill, and not boats.” Through no fault of the organizers and members of the IWCA, the change in rudder assembly has rendered this fundamental principle of the IWCA invalid. Purchasers of new Hobie Waves are unable to compete on an equal footing footing with boats equipped with older rudder assemblies.

It seems unlikely that Hobie Co. will reintroduce the older rudder assembly as standard equipment. In order that as many future Wave sailors as possible (and present sailors of Waves equipped with EZ LOC rudder assembly) be encouraged to join the IWCA and participate in Wave racing, I propose that tiller extensions up to 36” long be allowed in the Class rules. This should go a long way mitigating the speed advantage of Waves equipped with original rudder assemblies.

Allowing tiller extensions will also increase the level of comfort while sailing – especially downwind. This will assist those who are less mobile, or who have back problems, etc., to enjoy sailing and racing.

I propose that tiller extensions be allowed on all Waves, regardless of rudder assembly design. Those sailing with the older assemblies would not enjoy equal downwind sailing and comfort benefits if tiller extensions were allowed only on EZ LOC equipped Waves.

I propose limiting tiller extension length to 36” so that tiller extensions would be less likely to become a factor in situations (start, finish, mark roundings) where boats are likely to be in close proximity to each other.

Rule 2

Proposed Change: Delete the sentence “Only changes which have no bearing on boat speed are allowed”

Rationale:

This change is necessary to allow tiller extensions.

Rule 2.1

Current wording: “To keep each boat as equal, simple and cost free as possible by rigidly maintaining, without deviation, the one-design features of the Hobie Wave for racing.”

Proposed wording:“To keep each boat as equal, simple and cost free as possible by maintaining, wherever possible, the one-design features of the Hobie Wave for racing.”

Rationale:

This change is necessary to allow tiller extensions. I think it is worth noting that other alternatives to introducing tiller extension as a means of equalizing boat speed – purchasing a used older rudder assembly (and top pintles) or buying the parts from Hobie Co. - would be anything but “cost free”. Also the supply of used older rudder assemblies decreases with each passing year.

Rule 6

Current wording: “...Approved changes are as follows: Stronger gudgeons, larger diameter wires, slight shimming of crossbars, and reinforced flanges not affecting water flow. Except as allowed in these rules, any changes or additions that in any way can be construed as speed devices are not class legal.”

Proposed wording: (emphasis added for clarity – not intended to be part of the final draft) “...Approved changes are as follows: Stronger gudgeons, larger diameter wires, tiller extensions up to 36” in length, slight shimming of crossbars, and reinforced flanges not affecting water flow. Except as allowed in these rules, any changes or additions that in any way can be construed as speed devices are not class legal.”

Rationale:

This change is necessary to allow tiller extensions.

Don Thompson