Originally Posted by orphan
The T sport is only faster over 8knts if the crew weight is under 310. Sail the T at the same min weight at the N20 and you need to get over 12 for it to be competetive. My T has a tappered alum mast and I am not sure how much more power you get out of the carbon T stick. We sail our's at 365(crew weight) and going to weather I need 14+ to double trap. Anything less am I am footing way to much.

Then I think you must be doing something wrong on the setup. At light winds, the T is actually a little slower than N20's...less sail area and centerboards not giving sufficient lift). Once the modern T starts lifting a hull (~8-10 kts), it will beat a similar skilled team on the N20 around the buoys. Beyond 12-14 kts the N20 (like most 8'6" boats) is trying to depower..while the T is just beginning to think of inching on some downhaul. The wind speed adjusted Portsmouth numbers support this as does my real world experience racing loads of N20's.

The T class does quite well with no minimum crew weight since the sails can be tweaked within the measurements to tune in more or less power for a teams weight & expected wind range. This makes for a more mix body types across the fleet. Mitch Booth is a big boy and does extremely well on average. As do the lightweights.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"