Originally Posted by Capt_Cardiac
When Carl was working on his F20 plans the I20 was still well supported and had no interest in playing with anyone. Times have changed. The 320 lbs club sounds interesting but no one wants to weigh boats before events. In fact, as i've seen here and in practice almost no boats ever get weighed. The 320lbs was chosen simply because it is substantially less than the I20, N6.0, Fox, etc. and would allow for any tinkering with the parts on those boats and would allow for new boats to be constructed without having to overbuild them to add weight.
what is the projected weight of the 20 footer you have in storage?

It is a glass boat, carbon stick. 300 lbs.
If no boats are being weighed and no one really wants to have to hassle with weighing – why have the only real rule in the class be weight? Make a box dimension requirement and then limit configurations.

Rather than have equipment limited to an event make registration of equipment be for a season. The issue I like to avoid is the guy showing up and picking equipment and configurations that will give them some perceived advantage that day or that weekend. Huge square tops for the light wind weekends or the distance guys taking off or adding spins for the direction to get the best numbers.

If somebody can make a 100 lb boat that can make it through the full range of conditions in a season; then great. This is no more a class killer or scary proposition than they guy who shows up with a full foiling vessel or a hrad wing sail, etc.. The cost in a class is from development. You have this in a strict formula class like the F18 and the more open A class both. The arms race on the beach you can avoid to some extent is the guy who has a rig/ boat/ sail etc. for every condition and plays the rating game on the beach.