Originally Posted by brucat
Why can't rules be simple so we could actually follow them without hiring lawyers? (Rhetorical, I know it's because the legislators are mainly lawyers.)

The official website says register if over 16 feet. Pretty cut-and-dry, and I provided a link.

Folks here are showing different experiences [insurance clauses, racing may be a special case, discussion about special rules for catamarans (why should they be unique?), etc.]. Not saying I don't believe you (quite the contrary), but no links are provided, which is what would really help anyone trying to figure out what needs to be done.

As for "Big Brother" watching what's parked in your yard, that's definitely possible (there's a reason they hire tax assessors, etc.); but in my experience, it's more likely that a spineless neighbor who doesn't like seeing your boat (is jealous, or whatever), called on you. Yes, there are people who spend more time worrying about what other people are doing wrong, than leaving the house and actually doing something themselves...

ANYWAY, my advice overall would be to register it if you feel there is a strong likelihood of being ticketed, or just to ensure you will have no title issues selling the boat down the line. Otherwise, keep all your paperwork from your purchase, and bet on the odds that the cops have no clue either...

Mike

I was just looking over the website, the racing exemption clause appears to have been removed. Looks like a nice loophole has been closed.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one