Originally Posted by Jerry S
I registered the boat, but never did get a clear answer on this site. I'm surprised that a boat dealer wouldn't respond. So now I have to pay the $35 every year.

There's no question that if you purchase a new cat these days you will get a title.

These type of boats used to be treated like dirt bikes were. You would get a MSO. Manufactures Statement of Origin. Now you could take that and get a title but most people didn't because they weren't required to register them. Now that's all changed.
When you buy a dirt bike or cat you will get a title.

The problem is in how the older boats without titles are being treated. With the dirt bikes you could simply go to the tag office give them the VIN# and they would run it through the data base and if it didn't come as stolen then they generated a title for you no questions asked. With the cats they are treating people like they're guilty of a crime. Some boats have no VIN#'s due to repair or never having one ala DART. To add to the problem you can talk to different tag offices and get different answers. So people are flying under the radar in lieu of hiring a lawyer and going in front of a judge to prove ownership of a $1000.00 boat.

Have Fun