Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
I think this is the deal.
They are short a winch on those boats so when it comes time to Hoist( I think that's the task) the gennaker they blow off the jib sheet which has a line tied to the clew that limits the ease while they are hoisting the gennaker. That way it's not just flogging but still powering along a bit. problem comes when you need to ease past that point.

I hear what you're saying (and you're probably close), but I know I saw at least one boat raising the kite manually (same as on a F18, but with two guys pulling the halyard from the base of the mast). I was quite startled by this, and commented to my wife while we were watching: "Why are they doing that? They have winches on these boats!"

I didn't get anything from that clip above to explain the hobble...

EDIT: I just looked at dictionary.com, and while they don't list a sailing definition, the common definition (noun) has a variant that makes some sense in light of where you're going.

I'm sure they've be revisiting this as a good idea going forward...

As for the speed runs, I agree that it's awkward that they don't give a real-time speed, as well as max and average speeds at the end of the run. Not important to the goal, but fun nonetheless, and it's not like they have a shortage of instruments or data! I did like the red line showing the leader's pace as each successive boat went through the run.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 09/13/11 02:25 PM.