Originally Posted by PTP
If you watch further though, you will see Artemis (not Aleph) is the one that hits GC's inner port stern. GC got beat up by 2 boats pretty quickly (only one of which was really GC's "fault"). Aleph hits GC's starboard hull, and then Aleph sails away. GC then tacks in front of Artemis and fouls Artemis. Artemis then fouls GC by running into them from astern

Ah! That explains it. I didn't realize that GreenComm got hit twice so I stopped watching the replay too soon to see the contact with Artemis.

FWIW, I think you have the analysis right too. At about time -40, GreenComm (tacking) fouls Aleph and Aleph cannot reasonably keep clear. At t -25, GreenComm (tacking) fouls Artemis and Artemis heads up to avoid contact. At t -20, GreenComm completes her tack and pulls away. Artemis ducks behind to pass under GreenComm, but GreeComm heads up slightly and stalls. Artemis cannot bear away quickly enough and hits GreenComm's port hull. Artemis might argue that GreenComm changed course and did not give them room to keep clear, but I don't believe that's a strong argument. The crux of the issue is did GreenComm compel Artemis to break a rule, or did Artemis own action lead to the collision. In my opinion, I think Artemis simply ducked a bit too close.

That is, however, a really close call and the umpires may have seen it differently. Also, do the America's Cup Series rules allow for offsetting penalties in fleet racing? If so they might have declared the penalties cancelled between GreenComm and Artemis, and penalized GreenComm for her earlier foul of Aleph. They didn't say, so we may never know.

It would be nice if the coverage showed the reason for a penalty, as well as the fact that one was assessed. Then the commentators wouldn't have to speculate, and the viewers wouldn't be left guessing.

Regards,
Eric