A few weeks ago there was a discussion here about ways of optimal uprighting, but let me bring up another matter concerning this topic.

This weekend it happended to me again after three years of avoiding capsizing, that I was pushed over. Far after the break zone I was on my way back to the beach and was overtaken by a steep freak wave of about 4 to 5 meter
I started riding the wave with my tail but at one point the wave started to break and I was going to dive with my bowes down.

So in fear I steered up the wave again but the breaking water pushed me on my side. (Mainsail couldn't be unsheeted quickly because it was stalling). So I went over completly.

Now, in contrast with the above mentioned discussion, in waves uprighting is often very simple. The hulls are catched bij the waves, so they turn off the waves while the mast and sail stays backwards in the waves.
When uprighting you wait till a next wave lifts the sail while the hull stays relatively low at the bottom of the wave.
It's easy said, but in practice you can indeed upright in seconds.

But, there is ofcourse always a but. Afterwards I could not climb on board; I struggled 10 minutes but nothing worked.

Problem is with my latest 15 footer: I have to stay nearby the front of the windwardhull because going to the transom will capsize the cat backwards. Remind that the cat is unloaded and a playing ball for the incoming waves. No pressure of the sail so the bowes are lifted constanly.

Exhausted, this singlehanded oldy couldn't lift himself in one move against the forebeam. With my momentary cat I don't have a dolphinstriker, so there is nothing to help there and my freeboard appears to be too high, especially with lifted bowes.

My question is: Does this sound familiar to anyone and does anyone have a solution

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.