Originally Posted by daniel_t
Why do you think a (Hobie 18 minus 100 lbs) or (H-17) be better than any other boat?

For me, the Hobie 18 is the perfect boat (at least right now) because I find it to be the ultimate combination of durablity, simplicity, carrying capacity, speed, and overall fun - an extremely versatile boat. Not to mention there is a decent size and competetive racing class in my area.

I don't know of any other cat that I can repeatedly drag across the sand without fear of dammaging the hulls, comfortably blast double trapped in 4+ ft ocean swell with relatively inexperienced crew, easily depower by furling the jib if the wind gets too strong, take three adults out on when it's blowing 20-25 double trapped - ripping across the bay (crews with beer in hand), single hand in light and moderate breeze, rig in 30 minutes or less, not be encumbered by a heap of lines and gizmos, add wings if I want, continue to enjoy after owning for 25+ years, the list goes on...

As for the minus 100 lbs, well that would be my only complaint about the 18 - they are fairly heavy. But that's the price you pay for durability and affordability.

sm

Last edited by srm; 02/17/12 11:49 AM.