Round 2 saw us head out onto the course with once again, about 12-18 gusty knots of breeze. We were joined by our latest Mozzie, 1728 - 'To Be Sure'. Shaun and his son followed us around the course, not racing, just getting used the boat.
It was a one leg beat to the windward mark, which saw 'First Try' overpower the 5o5's and 'Stubbhorn', to be first around and head off on a shy reach. 'Stubbhorn caught me napping and overtook to windward to just round the next mark in front. I went for the kite, but capsized on the gybe. With some ground to make up, I re-focussed and upon round the bottom mark was not too far behind still, until the tiller extension knob came off, and I once again, went swimming! Getting better at the righting the boat quickly, I was back in the race pretty quickly, and was catching all boats upwind at a steady clip! It was as I was approaching the top mark again that my traveller rope let go. I had to stop to repair that, but still wasn't out of the race! Upon rounding the top mark, I promptly fell off the boat,but remained hooked on trapeze, unable to reach the tiller or mainsheet or anything to hold on to! Following this capsize, then another, then mast stuck in mud, I was definately no longer in the race, but in a pile of other stuff! 'Stubbhorn' definately sailed well in the conditions and despite having a few spinnaker issues and 1 stuffed tack, only lost to the winning 5o5 by 1.5 seconds!
I am quickly learning that smooth boat handling is a key factor to success in these craft. I am enjoying my steep learning curve, and am very happy with the boat when I can keep it upright!

Hack

'Goodnight Nurse'
&