G'day once again sportsfans!

Last Sunday's racing saw the emergence of our latest Mozzie, the unofficially named 'Ilman Express' (Owned by Greg Illman). The 'sometime' 505 sailor recently purchased the slightly refurbished boat from Simon Hallsworth, and slipped straight into gear, leading out fleet of 5 around the course for about three quarters of the race. Greg thrived in the variable and shifty conditions, and put the wind up all of us, who didn't like the look of this at all. As with 'To be Sure' and 'Goodnight Nurse' battling it out for second, and 'Stubbhorn' and 'Red Mist' dicing for 4th, it was a great race with many positional changes. As the wind picked up on the 2nd windward leg, us heavyweights began to reel him in; his 60kg frame now having to work extra hard. At the beginning of the last small triangle (the approach to the clubhouse finish line) 'To be Sure' and 'Goodnight Nurse' were seconds apart, having overhauled 'That annoying new bloke in the blue boat' and were powering to the finish. The last 3 minutes of the racing were extremely intense at the pointy end, with us literally metres apart the whole way. after getting the second last starboard cross, I cracked under pressure, stuffing the last tack, and handing the well deserved win to 'To be Sure'.

When Dave 'Swear-jar' Heynemann returns next season, and if we can continue to sweet-talk some young lads, who've been showing great interest, we'll have a regular fleet of up to 7 boats on the water.

I know it's off-thread, but for what it's worth, the PVSC guys reckon that the 'square-top' argument should not take precedence over the 'Mosquito' lettering on the sail. We reiterate that the beauty of this class is the low cost, versatility, ease of rigging/sailing etc. The immediate and relatively low cost impact of the lettering would attract more new sailors than a new sail/mast etc which will inevitably lead to increased set up and replacement costs...

I'll also reiterate that the further great strength of this class is the people within it, who are friendly, enthusiastic and willing to assist newcomers. I think that this is the biggest selling point that needs to be exploited. Recent comments about the 65+ division also has merit, so that older boats will be dragged out of the sheds...

All the best.

Last edited by Hack; 03/24/14 04:37 AM.

Hack

'Goodnight Nurse'
&