Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
could it not be argued that in said club race scenario, you noting a protest on the offending boat might be an opportunity to encourage (or educate) that boat on rules knowledge?

I know many a keen sailor who protested me was nice enough to educate me on whatever rule I was afoul of. In some cases, Ding even told me how to avoid the infraction or move to block the other boat's ability to put me in a fouling situation.

Perhaps the current culture's view of "rubbin' is racin" and our promotion of "bad boys/girls" who gain notoriety by pushing limits and rules might have something to do with this behavior?

Definitely. We do hold each other to a particular expectation of fairness and I don't have any hesitation to talk to someone about a situation on the course to either increase my knowledge or theirs (even if it is to help them understand they are being an butt). We have a lot of campfire rule review sessions after racing in our local catamaran and club fleets. In almost every case, if one of us feels fouled and promptly notifies another offending party, they'll take the penalty turns even if they're not sure and we'll talk about it later. I'm quite happy with the level of honesty and our ability to discuss things at just about every level of our sport.

I can't say that I see the same level of people considering that a rule hasn't been broken if they haven't been called out on it that the article is written about....but, there is a well functioning judiciary system in place for the sailors to self-police. You can not like what you see on the water if you want, but you can also protest it if you are racing. If the sailors have a clear and accessible method to stop the existing practices that the author doesn't like, is it really a problem if they choose not to act?

Jake Kohl