Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
You simply don't call your own foul.

I always call my own foul. I mean ALWAYS. It doesn't matter if I'm three miles away, I hit a mark, I do turns. That's how I sail. What I think you confuse is that there are situations where you can't always accurately determine if you made a foul. This does happen periodically and I rely on the other boat to indicate that I did.

+1,000,000 Jake!

Like the discussion.

What I see as another point in the enforcement and application of the rules is...The concept that only sea lawyers and A-holes protest.

We have a pretty competitve week night series, lots of nat level sailors. Needless to say, we often end up in the same vicinity of each other in groups at the marks. Now we are all pushing and there are times that you may get caught out of position. If you have been racing long enough, you've been there. There is no shame in commiting a foul or calling someone on a foul. It's not personal, it's all part of the game. For the most part circles are done and if not we set up a mini protest hearing and we decide on it. It makes for a great learning tool for rules and hearing prep.

We can compete at other sports (I use Hockey as an example) You trip, slash, etc someone you take your penalty, it's over you move on. An infraction on the water should be the same way. To play at a higher level you have to put it out there sometimes, and you just don't always pull it off.

It doesn't make you an A-hole, it make you a competitor. JUST do your turns if you know it was wrong.

Attached Files
MHStrt2.JPG (21 downloads)
MHStrt1.JPG (18 downloads)
Fleet Racing w/204!!
MHstrt3.JPG (14 downloads)
MoreRacing!!