Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
TG, No one else has the experience and background in the AC that Gary has. No one else is involved in the production of sailing TV coverage over decades like Gary has been. They tried a number of other commentators, including Mitch Booth, and it turns out that each one had their pros and cons. I suspect that it is one of those things that seems to be easier than it actually is. Gary tries to make sailing understandable and appreciated even to non-sailors and that makes it more difficult for experienced racers to watch (actually listen) but it is pretty necessary to make the TV production commercially viable. You can always turn the volume down and try commenting on it yourself with a recorder and see how you do. Maybe it could lead to a job offer.... or better appreciation for Gary's efforts.

I appreciate Gary and his background - but there is just something about his commentary that lacks excitement...and it's not just that. He lacks some basic understanding of the multihull aspect of this sport. Even as a color man (or...especially) you need to have a particular insight to what is taking place - why the sailors are doing what they are doing. What are they thinking when they split tacks and how they are weighing the cost of a tack vs. what lies ahead. I don't need to hear ONE MORE comment about the difference between monohulls and multihulls because that is not what is on the screen. If you can't keep the sailors that do this kind of racing entertained, lord help you with the masses.

Jake Kohl