Diesels do produce more emission than petrol per litres burnt however this is offset by the better fuel economy of diesel engines. Diesels also typically have forced induction (turbos) and whilst not accelerating as quick as a simular petrol unit with forced induction, has more low down torque giving V8 type grunt which is great for towing or off-roading. Diesel (and the snorkel smile ) are ideal for water crossings. Another tick for off-roading. In Australia, when you head off into remote areas, you will be hard pressed finding a gas station that sells petrol. No problem with diesel.

Americans also are hooked on their big cube engines. I am too for a play car, but for day to day driving and long distance touring which my VW is being built for, then small capacity turbo diesels are the go.

My VW Amarok would be considered small to most Americans (don’t want it too big for off-roading in the bush) and most will laugh at the little 2 litre twin turbo engine. It may not be a race car but it will give me combined city / highway driving off 7.8 litres/100 km = 30.1557158 miles/gallon(US). On the highway, I can get down to an approximate average of 6 litres/100 km = 39.2024306 miles/gallon(US). I also have a VW Golf 2 litre single turbo which gives me 4.4 litres/100 km = 53.4578598 miles/gallon(US)

BTW, The Amarok is built in Argentina and I believe they have plans to sell it in Canada. No plans for the US though as they believe they will not get the sales to justify it.

Also, in Australia a diesel vehicle will only add an extra 2.5k to a vehicle.