You can be light OR short... not both, IMO. I weigh in (normally) at 130-135 lbs. That pretty light for the boat, even with a shorter mast and flatter main. Tall people that weigh about the same (like Pease Glaser) can kill it in light to medium/flat conditions, and survive when the breeze comes up with the longer levers for righting moment. I'm light AND short - fact of life. San Francisco Bay on the front of a Hobie 16? I'm your man. Crewing the Nacra 17 with a cute(r) blonde on the back in anything over 10 knots? Not the right place for me - I become a liability on the beat.

One of the reasons I love multihull sailing; lots of options. I've been lucky to sail with a lot of different people on a lot of different boats. I know where my size is an asset and when it isn't. It has inevitably been a frank conversation with many skippers over the years.

If there is a B Fleet that evolves within the A Class, that may be a place I can play, but I don't ever expect to be a champion on that boat. Regardless, it will be the members of that Class that make that decision. Not teh internets.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.