I don't think market demand has anything to do with it. The US economy is built around the idea that you can create a market to sell goods and services. Sure if people want something and we create it for them, then business is great. On the flip side there are a large amount of products and services that created their own market.

I 100% agree that televising catamaran racing as it stands today will never happen. It is boring to watch if you don't understand it and sometimes boring even if you do. There is no interactive technology to be integrated into it and all sailboat makers have failed at building a youth market. So who's going to watch?

I personally think a combination documentary / reality series is the way to go. Find 10 sponsors, one for each team. Each team gets a build facility, a preset number of builders, and design limitation of the cat. The teams then draft their two sailors. Then they go to work to design and build a cat to race in a competition pitting all 10 teams against each other in various courses, racing styles and locations. A cross between Monster Garage and an adventure race with custom built boats.