Mike - We are forming a safety committee initiative in the GYA, and I am the inshore chair. The bonus is I am also serving as safety officer for the Sunfish Midwinters on PBay. We have already had two cases during the Masters portion.

An elderly lady missed a gybe, and her boat turtled. She could not reach the daggerboard BECAUSE OF HER COAST GUARD APPROVED LIFE JACKET!

John Williams and Matt Bounds were involved in my proposal to deep six the USSA prescription for Rule 40 back in '09 - '10. I have not seen that prescription enforced by a US Sailing judge since the ISAF Youth Qualifier out of ABYC in 2009.

I do not recommend that we should constrain athletes on a race course based on a nonsensical USCG requirement that places a human being in jeopardy. Tow-in surfers and kiteboarders are getting away with flotation vests because they play where the USCG would never go. Our race tracks should be just as sacred!

Other than encourage a simple rule change what else can we do to help your cause? I will send you a final copy of my regatta safety report by Monday.

Think Ahead and sail safe,
B