That document looks pretty good at addressing the overall picture.
In my experience (human nature) is the enemy. All the usual suspects, pride, hubris, arrogance, greed etc. Youth think nothing bad will ever happen and safety does not apply to them. Race committees and racers alike are guilty of all the above.
In racing we run the spectrum from no safety/chase boats to a bunch. I remember a race with an actual drowning and the folks doing the safety/chase boats were VERY pissed that they were asked to be involved and yet had no idea they were actually expected to save someone's life. Race committees tend to be thankless and last minute recruits that are extremely unprepared for the possibilities if something goes really bad.
I was also involved in a race where a crew member broke his neck when his Prindle 19 pitch poled. The chase boat had nothing to deal with that situation as well as no clue how bad his situation was, they did not know he had a broken neck.
Now these situations are not the fault of the folks who volunteered to help run the race. However, the royal "we" have done a very bad job of educating all parties of potential situations and how to deal with them. We continue to stick our heads in the sand and hope nothing bad happens.
I commend your efforts and would encourage folks to really focus on helping the "help" that volunteer to assist us in our racing fun. People can really die in these races. It is very rare, but who wants to have that situation happen to them and then have to live with those memories.
Good luck.