Most of the Sunfish sailors were in compliance as was expected; however, I did not patrol the international sailors. My job was to manage the two safety boats on the course, and we did have "boots and spurs" weather today with no separations. I will be filing a report after the series which will supply you and the GYA with an analysis of what is required for each discipline.

A USSA judge took control of Safety Two, and left us unprotected on the west side of the course, and that required Safety One to weave through the upwind gaggle and incoming downwinders to rescue two boats on the west side. Lesson #1 - A safety committee is what it says and has no business performing race committee duties, unless requested by the PRO. They parked comfortably at the weather mark so they could watch roundings there. I did have a discussion with the judge and asked him if he wished to continue working on the RComm as a judge or join the safety committee. He was out there just to sightsee; although they did render assistance to a vessel on the way back to the harbor:-(

Today I had three crew that could serve as jumpers. One of them was a sunfish lady who felt the conditions a bit over her limit, but she knew the sailors and could inform us of their individual traits as related to age and experience. I had plenty of spare anchors and line, Medical kit, tools, and a sleeping bag for a hypothermic situation. Water temp was 59 degrees - almost the same as the air temp. More later...

Last edited by catandahalf; 03/27/14 07:25 PM.