The forecast has been changing quite a bit for today but the best I can tell is that the trapeze harness soreness isn't going to get much of a break today. Soreness is going to be moving out of the way to make room for more soreness as I would expect teams to continue the double trapeze work as they make their way to Vero Beach. At this point, sailors will feel the harness straps every time the boat comes off a wave and staying focused on boat speed and in rhythm with the wind and waves will be just a little bit harder. We will probably see the more experienced distance racing veterans have a little edge in this regard today but I guarantee you that they are grumbling about the upwind work as much as anyone.

Food and water, food and water - even though it's difficult to eat and drink from the wire, it's so critically important to keep to a food and water regimen when you are trapping repeatedly so you can enhance your body's ability to physically recover. The hand swelling is probably kicking in pretty good this morning for the folks that have the mainsheet in their hands during the day. The combination of the persistent sheet loads and constant salt water soaking is taking a toll on the muscles, tendons, and skin. They're probably sitting a breakfast right now noting how they are unable to make a closed fist due to the swelling. You always think that the condition of your hands will be a big deal during the day but once you punch through the surf and make that left turn, you never think about it again until the next morning. Note to ground crews; an ice bucket from the room filled with icy water is good on the hands at the finish line each day and helps keep the swelling down a little.

It initially appeared as if the wind would start to become a little more southerly today perhaps giving an opportunity for the spinnakers to come out for some of today's trip. As we zoom into the forecast this morning, the southerly angle is gone and it looks very similar to what we've seen the last two days with ~maybe~ a little more easterly. As was the case yesterday, there probably won't be enough wind angle start thinking about spinnakers today. I've got my fingers crossed that they get a little more angle on the breeze allowing the teams to get the kites out and change their positions around on the boats a little but it's a pretty slim chance. The teams will likely start in a moderate 10mph breeze that will increase as a little sea breeze starts to circulate between 11am and 4pm. Because the humidity is relatively low, there won't be a huge sea breeze but there will be enough that the teams will continue to stick close to shore to take advantage of another click or two of breeze and just a little better wind angle. Wave height should be a manageable 3 feet but still making the crew work on the main sheet ever important to keep the boat on it's toes.

The surf on the beach is decent but they will have enough wind to punch through and it should be a tidy and pretty start to watch. Hopefully Team Solar Wind will post some additional video of the start - they had a great video of a little calamity of yesterday's start at http://www.solarwind.solar/ David pointed out yesterday that the cracked off angle let the Nacra 20s start to stretch their legs. We'll see more of that again today - perhaps even a little more. Finishing order should be the Marstrom/Nacra Carbon20, Nacra20s, F18s but it's still up to the sailors to keep the bows down and boats hauling.

On a personal note, I'm really missing not partaking in this event. It hasn't been an "ideal" wind angle so far in this race but they've certainly had wind. I remember a Tybee I raced in (no idea which one) where the spinnaker came out of the bag once for about 10 minutes during the entire 500 mile trip and we got kinda sick of looking at the snuffer with the kite still in it after days of upwind and reaching work. This looks like it will be a very similar event and the teams will universally share a great sense of accomplishment when they slide into Cocoa Beach tomorrow evening (and boat owners will rejoice at the lack of wear and tear on their kites).

Jake Kohl