Originally Posted by JeffS
Welcome to the forum Tom, my first two cats were Stingrays a great boat! The rear beam would have started straight, the holes in the rear beam could have been to lighten it or might be access holes to nuts inside the beam can you see the bolts for the traveller track through the holes? You really need a new main beam and new strap for the dolphin striker there is no short cut your up for a length of pipe for the front and rear beam, Nacra will have the parts or specs for everything you need. The bad news is you are up for a few dollars but the good news is you'll have a great boat for not much

Hi Jeff, that's amazing you sailed Stingrays too.

I'm disappointed to hear that the rear beam shouldn't have the curve that it does. I wonder if it would affect anything? Theoretically it would bring the hulls slightly closer together in the rear, but it's probably barely measurable. At least now it is something I could make myself from (non bowed) aluminum tube.

I wondered if the holes were to lighten the beam - but unlikely given that much aluminum couldn't possibly weigh more than an ounce or three. You may be right that they are for the traveler. I'll take a closer look.

I am also wondering if I can make a new dolphin striker strap by ordering that dimension in aluminum or even stainless from this place and carefully bending it myself. It seems like a pretty simple hunk of metal. The strap I Have would also be a pretty good/cheap candidate for welding strengthening layer at the centre hole and a few inches up each side.

Money money money! I know I got a great free boat, but my budget is extremely tight, and I need to be as creative as I can be while fixing it properly. I don't have plans to race the boat, so I have some flexibility with all this.

Thanks again Jeff for your input, much appreciated!