Originally Posted by Jake
I'm pretty sure that Nacra once marketed a widened 5.5 as a factory available 18 square if I remember that correctly. You may have some sort of combination of the two.

But, yes, if you intend to use that sail, you are definitely going to need a boom. Note that if you can put a strop around the boom to the mainsail so that the mainsheet loads are directly transferred to the sail, and only use the boom to support an outhaul adjustment, you can go with a much smaller (and cheaper) material for a boom (like most of the catamarans available today do).

Thanks Jake,

Hoping some others chime in on this, but what were you thinking regarding boom specs? Build my own (like the beams) rather than try and source a nacra original? Perhaps 2" 6061 Aluminum tube, maybe 0.0625 wall thickness? How about a gooseneck assembly? The old main beam had a rudder gudgen fitting attached facing aft, I suspect this was how the boom was attached when this was an 18sq. My sail doesn't come all the way down to the tramp at the tack, so I would need something a little higher on the mast. Maybe getting ahead of myself here, but throwing some ideas around.