Originally Posted by sierracat
Originally Posted by Jake
You are correct in that this is not nearly enough angle on the mainsheet for a boomless rig to function properly.

Hmmmm. That's what I am thinking. *sigh*. So, does this frankenstein of a boat need a boom added to it now? The sail is quite nice. Do you think the mast is also from an 18sq, or were they the same as the 5.5 uni? (this mast is 29'6"). If I recall correctly, the 5.5SL mast is a little shorter than the Uni, but don't know the specs on the 18sq masts.

I'm pretty sure that Nacra once marketed a widened 5.5 as a factory available 18 square if I remember that correctly. You may have some sort of combination of the two.

But, yes, if you intend to use that sail, you are definitely going to need a boom. Note that if you can put a strop around the boom to the mainsail so that the mainsheet loads are directly transferred to the sail, and only use the boom to support an outhaul adjustment, you can go with a much smaller (and cheaper) material for a boom (like most of the catamarans available today do).

Jake Kohl