Hi all,

Fifth and final installment of my very bias (only from my perspective) Nats report below.

Friday the final day, surprise, surprise it was hot and humid, but showing the weather did change during the Titles, there was very little wind. An 11am start was planned so sore bodies got moving early, only too hang around at the club as the postponement flag went up. After lunch the sea breeze started and it was time too head out, I for one was feeling much the worst for wear, but the racing must go on. Yet again wind was North East out of Warners Bay, making it gusty and the water flat. As soon as the racing started I knew I was in trouble, I just couldn't throw myself around the boat as usual, with sore ribs and lower back restricting my movement. It was mostly trapezing conditions, with a few “sit on the side patches” if you found yourself in the wrong spot, I couldn't lay flat on trapeze and moving across the boat whilst tacking or gybing was very uncomfortable, but was managing to hang in around 5th place, then in the last lap a few shifts went my way and I managed to get across the finish line in 3rd place. Thankfully the flag to signal that another race was to be started was up, this meant a minimum of 9 races would be held, which meant 2 drops, as much as my head said “yes” I wanted to compete and continue racing with the other guys, my body was saying “no”, on rough calculations I was confident I could head in and drop the final up to two races that I did not compete in, so I told the start boat I was retiring and headed in.
Back on shore at least I didn't have to rush to pack up, but soon another boat was in, one of the Cat rig leaders “Atreus” was taping up a damaged bow from a collision in race 9, from which he retired, this would have a influence on the final results in that division, but he went back out as the full complement of 10 races was to start. Despite moving slowly (nursing my injuries), I was just about packed up when the fleet came in and started the big pack up, that signals the end of another great National Titles, sad to think that we will have to wait another 12 months to have this much fun again. As had been the case all week packing up was a very social time and the winners where grinner’s, soon it was time to put “Still Bitten” on the trailer and “Bee Alert” was ready to go on top, “it was all over except the shouting”.

The Presentation at the near by Macquarie Club, was a fitting finale to a great week, another chance for fluid replacement, plenty of food and prizes galore, calls of “Fat is Fast” heaps of laughs and stirring. The goodbyes dragged on for ages and everybody said they would be at the Nats again next year, doesn't matter where you placed, the Nats are so much more than just another chance to win trophies. They are an annual gathering of the “Swarm” to celebrate all that is great about sailing “The Racing Cat” a catamaran that has has stood the test of time, because the Mosquito class rules have allowed gradual development, keeping the Mosquito lively and exhilarating to sail for the experienced, but not too difficult for those learning and so versatile with it's Cat rig (one up), Sloop rig (two up) and for the past 10 years spinnaker rigged options. cool

Saturday, dawned you guessed it hot and humid, after a early breakfast at the cabin it was time to hitch the trailer, wave goodbye to the “Grumpy Old Men” plus one “Fat Grinner” and head south. Again the miles flew by and apart from my back and ribs it was a painless journey, arriving back in Paynesville in time to load “Bee Alert” back on it's trailer and enjoy a roast Lamb dinner (one advantage of the wife staying home), then “Bee Alert” headed of to make the final leg of the trip, the 1 hour 45 minute drive around the lake to Loch Sport (about an hour by water). It was back to work Monday and a trip to a Sports Physio was required to check out what had become a very painful back, he reported a damaged disc in the lower back and along with what where still sore ribs, he prescribed rest with some basic exercises. Which is why I have had time to do this write up, the back is feeling much better but the ribs are still trouble, but hopefully I will be able to sail again soon, just loving the new boat, I am definitely “Still Bitten”. grin