Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
The FAA can suck my balls. It's supposed to be a free goddamn country. What is done in airspace not used by the FAA is none of their f@#king business.

It is still some of their airspace being debated...but I agree that this is going wayyy overboard. Looking organizations like the AMYA, I think they've done a pretty good job at keeping things respectfully safe. In their case, though, they're a little more limited in that the model airplanes generally require more open space and some slightly specialized grounds to operate. The drones have really opened the door to use everywhere.

We do need to respect the fact that these things can bloody somebody if things went wrong. They can also be a threat to aviation in a lot of ways we've barely discovered...I've heard tale of photography helicopters having near misses at regattas (though I'm sure the pilots would be prone to exaggeration in that situation just from the seriousness of it)

I think the answer is an organization that can approach the FAA in a methodical approach. Requiring licensing, or membership, in that organization with different membership level based on skill demonstration might help too. Provide members insurance like the AMYA does would go a long way too.

We'll get it fixed - I just hope it doesn't take a bunch of expensive litigation to get the current FAA regulations brought back to earth...but there are drone supporters that are working on it and waiting for the chance to make a legal stand.

Jake Kohl