Easy, easy. I have been a long standing member of the AMYA until recently. Many of these drone pilots have absolutely no skill or background in model RC. Most AMYA members do fly at designated flying fields out of convenience (we don't all live in the flat-lands). I'm just suggesting that some more organization around the new drone guys might help...geesh. hot button.

It's an issue because every other 12 year old, from age 10 to 60, is getting a drone. They can fly them over crime scenes, through fireworks, and between buildings. My cousin watched a guy just chew himself up with a big one at the beach last week. It's different than modeling has been in the past and it's growing like wild fire. There are more of them and they're more nimble and it's reasonable to do something to keep it from getting out of control (but this FAA over-reaction is not it). Until recently you had to build your own model airplane too which provided a substantial filter. The level of pre-kitting, especially with the drones now, has opened their use up to a lot more people.

As far as air space is concerned - the coast guard could have been (and likely was) in the air around the start of the Everglades Challenge at low altitude. It's a legitimate concern but I think it can managed by requiring a little bit of demonstrated responsibility through licensing. The AMYA has done an excellent job of self policing and easing the concerns of the FAA in the past by creating the type of structure that educates people, sets certain requirements, and provides insurance. The people can organize and show the restraint to keep drones from being a problem themselves or the government will require it for us. It's that simple. I'm just suggesting that it might be better for the people to do it.

Jake Kohl