Well here's the thing about the box trailer concept. I like to wash and wax my boat before a regatta, but by the time I arrive at the regatta, the boat is covered with road grime, and I have to at least get a sponge and rinse it off, or maybe even do some serious scrubbing if it's Love Bug season. I figured a box would save the boat from all that, and then could be used a tent that won't leak or flap if a midnight thunderstorm comes along, as has happened in many past regattas, not to mention the ease of rolling the boat on board as Karl mentions above, and just put the mast on top. But it's the width thing we have to deal with, with a standard 8'6" wide cat.

The A cats are what, about 8' wide? So the extra 6" is really that big a deal?

I was thinking someone like Karl or Jake, with all their wood working ability, might be able to build a box out of plywood, just big enough for an F18/F16 and keep it light enough for towing behind something besides a truck, and still be road legal.

I have seen a few flatbed type trailers, if you just put walls and a roof on it, you'd be all set.

I have a 3 horse gooseneck trailer for the horses, but it's not nearly wide enough or even tall or long enough to jam a cat into. And the smell would drive you out if it rained and you had to close up the windows!

There were some club race cars in Sebring this weekend, I've been seeing some pretty wide car trailers going by that looked a lot wider than 8'6", and they have the ramp type back door, perfect for rolling a car or catamaran in. Next time I see one parked maybe I'll measure the back door and see if it's 8'6" wide.

Blade F16