There are safety concerns with a release mechanism that could come undone unexpectedly too. I've owned several different styles of release mechanisms and was never happy with their real-world operation.

I've had the type that retains the hook with a ball detent system where you can press a button and release the hook from the harness. I never looked very deep into it but I'm guessing that there were some tolerance issues with the one I have but it simply won't release under load (ball detent systems are very sensitive to the shape and depth tolerance of the ball sockets). I've also had systems where the bar itself has a quick release mechanism and I probably like those the best...but they're prone to come undone if that snag on something - and that sucks too.

IMHO, the most unobtrusive solution is to replace the wire trapeze systems with high modulus line and keep a rescue hook knife VERY accessible (mounted inside or on your PFD). We do this for distance races. It will not help if your hook gets caught on something like a shroud but it is an improvement.

Jake Kohl