I would agree with the "let's not mandate" thoughts EXCEPT that it seems every time someone gets hurt (after deciding they didn't want to use a particular safety item), there are injury/wrongful death lawsuits slung at the organizers, other competitors, etc.

So until that litigation thing stops, I think there is a need to shield organizers and others from litigation by setting some minimum safety standards.

As to the hook thing, I'm interested more in preventing the hook tangle-ups on things other than the harness line, as it seems most of the injuries/deaths occur when the hook snags other things on the boat.

So if we can't change the "hook" design, could we change its location from the harness to the trapeze line itself?

Not that I want a giant fish hook swinging around (or four, in the case of double trap lines), but perhaps an inverted T arrangement ( or perhaps a stronger version of the T-handle?) on the trap line that you could loop your seat harness around. The loop having one of those kitesail release mechanisms integrated into it?

So if you had to release the harness from the trapeze line, pulling the release would uncouple and you'd just have strings dangling from your harness bar (rather than a hook or loop)?

Jay