Well, the Hooter seems to have a great deal of lift up wind--I haven't had it in strong wind, yet, but in the medium stuff, it wants to pull the leeward bow out of the water! I've gone over backwards twice as a result of a panic reaction from a puff.

Of course, the most spectacular flip was a classic cartwheel SCREAMING downwind to the beach. The wind really picked up and I tried to furl the Hooter to control the boat (first time out caution, you know) and the furling line broke. I really didn't have a choice, so I rode it in. I've never buried BOTH bows like that! I furled the sail by hand and righted it. The sail unfurled as some wind hit it and When I came into the beach, I must have gone 50 feet up the beach before I stopped. So much for the bottom!

I was concerned about sailing it up wind because it makes you foot, so I thought the jib would help. Then I thought about furling the jib and releasing the Hooter to go down wind and vice-versa tacking upwind. I set up a 1:2 purchase on the Hooter, so it furles quickly with about 3 feet of furling line. You really need to pull on it, though.

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15