I think you are right: asymetric foils seem to be more draggy and less efficient in light air.

The Open 60 tris' solution is to use asymetric foils in heavy air and replace by the symetric daggerboard in the central hull when conditions are unfavorable for the asymetric ones in the floats. I am not sure if they are ever used in combination. I guess some foils may interfere with others (?).

The light air solution in the Catris is called "engine" It was designed to be the first foiled cabin cruiser series in the World... a speed oriented cruiser, but still a cruiser. It doesn't seem to be so slow in light air, though. According to race reports in San Francisco, it beats most other small tris in light air. It is slower then the faster stripped out racing competitors in light/moderate air. But then, I wasn't at the helm...

For an A class, I think the ideal would be something similar to the Moth class: asymetrial foils in heavy air replaced by symetric foils in light air. I don't know if it is legal and have no insight as to what motivates the class rules/evolution.

One detail: the Catri stabilization system is also patented - it consists of automatic boat pitch control to adjust angle of attack using rear "wings" and NO moving parts at all. The A class would never pay royalties.

By the way, does anyone know how they keep the foiled Moths stabilized at flight? Stability and seaworthiness in heavy/moderate seas are critical aspects for foilers.

Cheers,

Luiz